This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Casserole is the ultimate cheesy -good indulgence. A savory chicken casserole set off with a rich cheese sauce and Frank’s Red Hot sauce, it is not to be mi ssed!
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Casserole:
- ½ cup butter, unsalted
- 8 slices white bread (cubed into small pieces)
- 5 cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon nut meg
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups jack cheese, grated
- 1 pound cooked pasta (al dente)
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- ¾ cup buffalo wing sauce
Directions Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt 6 tabl espoons of butter. Whisk i n the flour. Continue to whisk the mixture until golden brown (about 3 mi nutes).
- Slowly add the milk to the mixture, continuing to whisk to break up clumps. Continue to whisk the mixture until it thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Add the seasonings, 4 cups of Cheddar cheese, and 2 cups of jack cheese to the mixture, continuing to stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- In a medium bowl, combine to the chicken, buffalo sauce, onions, and toss until well mixed. To build the casserole, place a layer of noodles over the bottom of the dish, then l ayer with the
- cheese sauce, shredded cheddar cheese and buffalo chicken, repeating until all of the ingredient s
- are layered.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and toss with the bread cubes, then spread across the top of the casserole.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until top is golden brown and cheese i s bubbling.